The Old Chatham Hunt
Sunday June 12th
Have you always wanted to try fox hunting? Interested in learning about the field etiquette, tradition and rules to the sport? Come to this informative mounted clinic on June 12th in Old Chatham, NY. We will go over the basics of foxhunting and ride field maneuvers. Your booking includes a Galloping Guru horse for you to ride! Lunch included!
Each person who participates will be given one free “cap” to ride with Old Chatham during Autumn hunting season.
8:00 - 8:30am Registration arrival check-in and tack up (horses must be ready to ride at 9:15)
8:45 - 9:15am Brief orientation and explanation of basic field etiquette
- Explanation of fields:
- First Field (a forward pace)
- Second Field (a moderate pace)
- Hilltopper (a slower pace)
9:30 - 11:30am Mounted Hunting Clinic, to include riding over varied terrain, open field strategy,field reversals, checks and yielding. Meet the hounds!
11:30am - 12:30pm Lunch and discussion on hunting tradition, sharing great stories and great food. A delightful boxed lunch provided.
12:30 -1:30pm (approx) Unmounted seminars
- Brief history, modem hunting, who is the staff and their jobs, seasonal hunting dress and
- hunting equipment, questions and answers.
Things to bring and general information
• No need to “dress to impress", a seasonally appropriate polo shirt is fine
• An ASTM/SEI approved helmet must be worn
• Riding boots
• Please feel free to wear a jumping vest
• Please bring a folding chair for lunch and seminar time
• Please leave your dog at home
Experience: Intermediate + riders who have cross country experience.
Uniform: Tan breeches, white shirt, white stock tie, black coat, tall black boots, black helmet (velvet is traditional but not required), black gloves, canary or tattersall vest is optional.
Location: Old Chatham, NY