Monmouth County Hunt Weekend
Take a weekend trip full of riding and socializing just over an hour from Manhattan! With foxhunting season coming to an end, Monmouth County Hunt is closing it out in top form. This closing meet weekend is one of the best events of the season.
Your weekend kicks off with a seat at our table for the fundraiser and fashion show entitled "In Fashion Since 1885." The show is dedicated to equestrian apparel (FITS, SAVAR and more!). Although the show will highlight fabulous riding attire, this is one of those rare opportunities for us to see each other outside of our breeches and in our cocktail attire! So put on your evenings best to eat, drink and mingle with hunt and community members at this special celebration.
Stay at one of the many charming Airbnb's or Bed and Breakfasts in the area. We have pre-reserved lodging for up to 3 guests nearby in Freehold, please inquire if you are interested.
Wake up and enjoy a relaxing Saturday morning and breakfast in the town, we recommend The Skillet, set in an old barn and offering an excellent menu! Then head to Little Valley Stable to meet your horse for the weekend. Take a dressage lesson from Jes Hala and enjoy a lovely hack out after. This is your opportunity to get to know your hunt horse for the following day, get comfortable in your tack and ask any questions.
After your lesson there are a number of wonderful restaurants to check out in the area, we have a big list below.
Sunday morning rise and shine for Monmouths 137th Closing Meet! Put on your formal hunt attire and arrive early to enjoy the stirrup cup before mounting. Following the thrilling ride will be a social breakfast to celebrate a weekend to remember!
Friday- "In Fashion since 1888"
- 6pm Fundraiser and fashion show at Battleground Country Club
- Enjoy an evening of food, drinks, dancing and fashion!
Saturday- Lesson and hack at Little Valley Stable
- Arrive at 12:30pm to meet your instructor and horse
- 1pm- 3pm Dressage lesson and hack
- See our list of suggestions for dinner below!
Sunday- Monmouth Country 137th Closing Meet
- 8am Arrive at the kennels for your stirrup cup
- 10:30am Get your horse, adjust tack and warm up
- 11am Meet begins
- Expect 2-3 hours in the saddle
- Hunt breakfast to follow
Mixed breeds, experienced hunt horses for first and second flight able to jump small obstacles. Shown in the photos are:
Clementine- 16.2hh Belgian Cross, she has hunted extensively and is good for any Level 3 Rider to ride in any flight.
Drama- 17.1hh Paint, he is a forward first flight horse, very reliable but for a confident Level 3 Rider.
Carmella- 14.2hh Pony, she has hunted extensively and can do any flight but does start out excited and ready to go so a confident Level 3 Rider is best. (Requires a smaller rider 150lb max).
Level 3, 4 and 5. Click here for level descriptions.
The Monmouth County Hunt is set in Northeastern New Jersey in Allentown. They benefit from the area's natural sand footing allowing them to hunt throughout the season where most experience frozen and slick footing. The territory is a balanced mix of open fields, corn fields, wooded trails and hills offering some beautiful views of the area. When you arrive you have the luxury of warming up in a large outdoor arena ahead of the meet. This hunt was founded in 1885 and today still enjoys hunting over 6,600 acres of farm country. Click here to read more about their alluring history!
Little Valley Stable is located just outside of Princeton, NJ. They are a small family run facility with a large property and extensive trails. They focus primarily on dressage and foxhunting but also do some low level eventing.
- Your ticket to the Monmouth fundraiser and fashion show
- 2 hour lesson and hack on your horse before the hunt on Sunday
- Your horse and cap fee for the hunt on Sunday
- Lodging- but we do have a great Airbnb saved if the group wants to use it!
- Your transportation to events, a car will be needed to get you around, we will be sure to connect riders for sharing
- Friday fundraiser- Cocktail attire
- Saturday hack- Casual riding attire
- Sunday hunt- Formal hunt attire- Black coat, white shirt, white stock tie, tan breech, black boots
- Helmet required for all rides
60 miles from central Manhattan
- The Skillet in Freehold, NJ (close to our saved Airbnb)
- Almost Home General
- Metropolitan Cafe
- The American Hotel
Fun markets/ light fare
- Delicious Orchards (great local grocery store, amazing bakery)
- French Market (restaurant/ cafe)
- il Meercato (great sandwiches)
- The Bagel Store (amazing bagels outside of NYC)
- Rook (great coffee)
- Ant & Andy's Ice Cream (charming new ice cream shop in Colts Neck)
- Source Farmhouse Brewery
- Colts Neck Stillhouse
- Huddy's Inn (sometimes they have live music)
Activity- check out some of the stunning barns in the area, home to many professional riders!
- Beacon Hill
- Springsteen Barn
- Olivia Wardell
- Synergy Stables
- Stonehenge Stables
- Abbey Farms
*Photo credit: MegVal Photography